A no-hitter is amazing enough, but there were just so many crazy things about it that made it even more amazing.
- Tim Lincecum was interviewed on Chronicle Live before the game and he was asked whether he thought he'd ever pitch a no hitter, and he answered that he certainly thought he was capable of doing it, but then remarked that it's always the "unsung hero" types who do it!!!!!!!!! WTF psychic!Lincecum. (I'm going to upload this interview to YouTube soon. He kinda' slashes himself with Matt Cain in it, which makes me squeak and whimper at the same time)
- Sanchez was kicked out of the rotation for being inconsistent. He only started yesterday because Randy Johnson's injured. I just wanted him to have a respectable showing so he wouldn't be punted again and I was a little nervous for him.
- He had a record of 2-8 and I think his ERA was... over 7 when he started that game.
- Bengie Molina's wife went into labour so he left to be with her yesterday and Eli Whiteside had to take his place at the last minute. He's this 29 year old minor leaguer type who only had 9 major league starts before this season.
- Sanchez's dad flew in from Puerto Rico to watch his start. It was the first time he'd ever watched his son start in the majors.
- Aaron Rowand leaped and crashed into the wall, saving what could have been a home run for the second out in the 9th inning.
- He was one Uribe error away from a perfect game.
- EVERYONE hugged him after the game was over. EVERYONE. Even Amy G. lastcatastrophe you are totally right. Amy was just about crying when she interviewed him.
- But the best part is when his dad came down to the dugout and hugged and kissed him and they both cried.
It's mostly sleep deprivation making me weak, but I bawled like a baby when the game ended, even before he and his dad hugged. like I was seriously sobbing.
I have never seen him pitch like that before. I mean, I don't think he ever has. He's never had a shutout in the majors. Never had a complete game. He threw so many good breaking balls. It's like he was possessed or something. I don't expect him to be anywhere as good in his next start, but I do hope he's gained the confidence and some knowledge about how to be consistent and that he can stay in the rotation. :)